MarketsFlow portfolio performance web-chat for week ending 6 December, 2019

Hi,

I’m aware that the performance figures are taken before market close, but for this specific week they were:
0.36% for HG Portfolio
0.30% for ISA Portfolio

I ended up with:
-0.01% for HG Portfolio
-0.14% for ISA Portfolio

Did others see a similar movement? I didn’t see the market drop much in the closing hours, but don’t have sight of the specific holdings that Marketflow were invested in ? Be great to shed some light on this.

Also, would it be better to do these performance recordings on Monday morning instead so it’s done with actual figures?

Thanks,

Rahim.

2 Likes

I agree that it should be recorded after the actual figures are known. Whether that’s Monday or another time in the week that’s preferable for the Portfolio Manager (Adam) and which will have minimal impact upon performance is obviously to be decided by the management.

2 Likes

Agreed. This is something I have raised a few times. Apart from once or twice, the performance figure always drops rather than increases, so maybe it indicates a need to not trade in these hours as this happens consistently.

But aside from that, yes, having a more accurate figure at the end of the week would be preferable!

1 Like

I fully agree with the comments made.

Also, with the Portfolios being stated as 0.3-0.6% up for the week ending the 6th December 2019. From my start value on the 2nd December through to my closing value on the 6th December, I am actually marginally down for the week on both a High Growth Portfolio & an ISA Portfolio.

Oops! Should read “Portfolios being stated as 0.3-0.36% up for the week.”

I have to say it’s a poor show that no one from MarketsFlow have responded to the concerns of the investors. I know everyone is busy but if you want to build a thriving community there needs two way interaction… just my thoughts

1 Like

Unfortunately this is as far as it got last time I raised the very same issues

@tom_mf, @Jamie-MF - would you be able to address this please?

Hi Guys - Thanks for raising these concerns.

Unfortunately due to the closing times on NYSE we can only do these webcasts and mailshots around midday Friday Eastern time, and 5pm in London (where Tom and myself are based).

Given the time constraints it’s more a snapshot for the portfolio than a final total for the week - so sometimes there’s going to be fluctuations. But I completely appreciate that this isn’t clear in the email.

We’re actively looking and testing ways to improve this system, including automation of the email with the final EOW figures after markets close - this will take some time to do, so please bare with us on this.

However, any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to us @Jamie-MF.

I think one option could be to record it first thing on Monday morning so you have final results. That way you will also have seen and be able to explain any large impact news over the weekend on the Asian markets that open before European ones. And you can still do a preview of the upcoming week.

I agree with James’ comment above. Much prefer having communication about the week when performance figures are actually confirmed, rather than have the impact of Friday market movements after the webcast which then raise questions on performance differences.

@Jamie-MF There was also a mention of an app update coming (this was around 1.5 months ago) which would give a view of allocation. Therefore at any point we could get a view of the percentage of our portfolio non-invested / invested (and potentially what in). Do you know the latest on this release?

We’re currently looking into what’s the best course of action regarding the podcast and recording times, we’re going to do one tomorrow due to the Christmas holidays - but plan on rejigging a lot of the content we produce in the new year — including looking into a better time for recording.

@rahimnota I’ve just spoken to the CTO, and we’ve still got a couple of things to work on before this feature is available. I apologies for the vagueness on timelines, but at the moment we’re prioritising stability and scalability over new features.

So lots of work is going on behind the scenes to make it easier and quicker to implement new features. This helps us future-proof the app and doing it now will be a lot more beneficial and easier than delaying it. But will be launching this feature soon!

Some great comments and I completely agree with the essence of these views.

I feel that all of the information on performance dispensed by MF should be readily understandable, unambiguous, clearly relate to a specific period, and interlock with all other pieces of the performance jigsaw that are released by MF. The craving for instant information & the demands of 24-hour world markets are dynamics that have to be lived with.

Ideally for me, I would like to see the daily Portfolio performance figures only when they are robust, exactified and they are highly unlikely to change. If this can be delivered by say 10.00 am or 1.00 pm the next day that is fine with me, just tell me.

I definitely like the rounding-off of the week with the portfolio performance web-chat & effectively robust data for around “4 1/2 days” of the week & a glimpse of the trends and likely outcome from the remaining “1/2 day,” but if this is continued, it must be made clear that the week the web-chat refers to has not yet finished. If the end of week portfolio performance web-chat is kept in place & goes out on a Friday, I think it needs to be radically overhauled - more on the lines of the excitement of this is what is happening now, rather than this is what has happened - well almost happened!

I’m not sure that a British investor casually looking at this for the first time will be fully aware that the portfolio investments are being made in the US markets, and may be a little confused by the “lag-effect” when the British markets have often actually closed. As MF launches in other World markets there is potential for the various performance information released to be confusing and even contradictory, especially if some of the data is not robust in relation to a specific period. What if MF at some point launches a multi-market portfolio product?

My preference for the timing of the portfolio performance web-chat, is, as with others, when all the data is in and the figures are robust and finalised. This eliminates any confusion for a simple soul like me. Ideally, I wouldn’t want to wait for Monday to see the final out-turn, but would be happy with the final Portfolio performance figures & web-chat posted by say late-afternoon Saturday.

Waiting until the figures are robust and finalised then feeds perfectly into the end of month management fee generation, giving more confidence in these figures, reducing any unnecessary confusion/queries, and making checking of the figures easier.

2 Likes

Hi @Jamie-MF @tom_mf,

In light of the current environment, I’m picking up on the point above regarding the functionality in the app to show allocation of funds (e.g 10% cash, 30% options, 60% equities).

I would feel now more than ever this would be very useful to see, especially during this volatile period. On other platforms (e.g. Smarterly, Moneybox) I know the exact percentage of my portfolio allocated to the exact holdings and think some kind of granularity is needed by Strowz rather than just seeing a total portfolio value go up or down every day.

Or in absence of this, some commentary on how our portfolios are being managed at the moment - similar time the commentary that was done on a weekly basis in 2019.

Any updates to share on portfolio level communication?

Regards,

Rahim.

1 Like

I’m happy to report that from the day I took a position (31st May 2019 in the ISA portfolio, largely to validate my own investment decisions from Crowdcube), the portfolio has outperformed the S&P 500 performance since then. All looks very promising at the moment!

Hi Vishal, I also agree, the performance has been positive and I’m extremely happy with it so far. Risk management has been strong as proven by Marketsflow/Strowz previously.

I still think my point above about having transparency on our portfolios is still needed and ideally through the app (this was tactically covered by weekly performance web-chats in 2019, but quiet for all of 2020). We’re now entering next week without any insight into how much the portfolios are invested / in cash, etc. Raising this more now due to the volatility in the market and fears of an upcoming market recession/depression.

Yes, I’d be interested in knowing more about portfolio allocation in future as well. At the same time, I don’t know how long it will take to develop that feature such that it runs smoothly with users…

For my ISA portfolio - if you’d have invested in MarketsFlow’s ISA portfolio and opened the position on the 31st May 2019, you’d be up over 5% today compared to the S&P 500 which has barely changed compared to that date.

Meanwhile, I made £9k last week through CFD and Options. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Having said that, MF is brilliant at navigating a volatile environment. It’s like it was made for this crisis.

3 Likes

I need a teacher for options still can wrap my head around it. Will you be my sensei? :pray:

1 Like

Am a total newbie myself, placed a few good ones as last week was pretty obvious that everything was going up, so it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Best places to start are:

https://tastytrade.thinkific.com/
https://www.optionsplaybook.com/options-introduction/stock-option-history/

Then you need a broker that does options and CFDs - I went to Saxo for that reason. Not entirely happy as you pay commissions with them, but not as bad as HL. Ideally we’d get RobinHood to come in and challenge the whole fees model, but their launch got delayed.

My investment strategy also changed. From Long Equity-only I went to a multi asset strategy that follows the economic cycle, with my current main holdings in treasuries, gold and dollars, and a good chunk of cash. And in a short approach alongside it, and it’s a mini hedge fund.

1 Like